- Favorite (or first) concert you have ever attended? (Peter Donovan) The first concert I ever attended was June 16, 1998 - The Wallflowers at the Del Mar Fair in San Diego, CA. I’ve seen many great shows since then. Some favorites off the top of my head - Bob Dylan, Kacey Musgraves, The Drive-By Truckers, Sleater-Kinney, and Radiohead.
- Recent release you cannot stop listening to? (Peter Donovan) There are a few records from 2020 that I still play quite a bit: - Fiona Apple, Fetch the Bolt Cutters - Bright Eyes, Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was - Brandy Clark, Your Life Is A Record. More recently, I’ve really enjoyed Open Door Policy by The Hold Steady as well as the new Silk Sonic single - “Leave The Door Open.”
- What’s your favorite venue and why? (Peter Donovan) My favorite venue to play is the Tractor Tavern in Seattle, WA. It always sounds great, and the staff is super friendly. Plus, it’s located in a really fun part of town, and the shows are always a blast.
- Who would you love to collaborate with? (Peter Donovan) I’d love to collaborate with Butch Walker. I think he’s an excellent songwriter and producer with a great ear for melody. Also, as long as I’m dreaming, I’d love to sing a song with Stevie Nicks someday.
- Did you have a musical mentor? If so, who was it and how did they influence you? (Elijah Ocean) My first guitar teacher was about 4 years older than I was and he taught me guitar basics but I remember a few months in he casually referred to me as a “musician” and that really blew my mind at the time. We are still friends to this day and get together every so often for a jam/hang.
- When/where do you do your best writing? (Elijah Ocean) Ideas pop into my head all the time and I try to write them down or voice memo them, but it’s usually during downtime at home or a hotel when I can be alone and really process my experiences that I actually get the work done.
- Is drinking at gigs a positive or a negative? (Elijah Ocean) I’d say it can be positive to a point. There is such a huge social element to live music and booze can obviously act as a lubricant which can be good. It is very easy to overdo it though and that is not good. I’ve performed both sober and completely inebriated and I’d have to say somewhere in the middle is best. Loose enough but still on it.
- Which song of yours gets the best crowd response? (Elijah Ocean) Funny you should ask. The Rose Petals have actually never played a show. We rehearsed for the recording sessions and played together for the record, but that was it, then the pandemic. I am very much looking forward to playing these songs live in front of people when we get the chance, though, and I am curious to see how they go over.
Founded by songwriting partners Peter Donovan and Elijah Ocean, The Rose Petals are an all exclusive Americana band with their blend of “uniquely modern American music infused with tinges of the past.” The band is a fusion celebrating the past and what is yet to come in the ever-so changing musical landscape.
Learn more about the band - Visit the following link to their website | The Rose Petals
True country music is honesty, sincerity, and real life to the hilt. Garth Brooks